Postdoctoral Researcher (f_m_x)
The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national centre for geosphere research. As a member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres
we are part of the largest scientific organization in Germany. With approximately 1,400
employees our key mission is to secure a profound understanding of the systems and processes of solid Earth, to develop strategies and options for action in addressing global change and its impacts on a regional level, to understand natural hazards and to minimize associated risks, to ensure the sustainable provision of energy and raw materials for a high-tech society and to evaluate the influence of human activity on system Earth.
As a partner in Geo.X
, the GFZ has access to an excellent network of other geoscience institutions in Potsdam and Berlin. This largest regional concentration of geoscientific competence in Europe offers first-class cooperation and development opportunities.
For section 4.2 'Geomechanics and Scientific Drilling', we are looking for a:
Postdoctoral Researcher (f_m_x)
Reference Number 7210
The central research topic of Section 4.2 aims at understanding the physical processes that control dynamics and mechanical properties in the Earth's crust and mantle lithosphere. This covers the entire spectrum of topics ranging from geomechanics and rock physics to the rheology of crust and uppermost mantle, ranging over the entire spatial bandwidth from the laboratory through mine and reservoir scale to the deformation of tectonic plate boundaries. At the field scale, we investigate seismic and aseismic deformation processes and aim at identifying slip transients covering the entire frequency band of seismic signals.
The ERC research project QUAKEHUNTER (Real-time monitoring of earthquake nucleation for faults near urban areas) aims to (1) determine the most effective approaches to detect fault-related transients preceding moderate to large earthquakes, and (2) to monitor seismic and aseismic processes and infer from them the fault conditions under which earthquake nucleation processes emerge, and the optimal instrumentation required to capture them.
This postdoctoral position will focus on the automatic detection and classification of different types of signals embedded in the continuous recordings of strainmeter and seismic data, mainly recorded in the broader Sea of Marmara region in NW Turkey including the Istanbul megacity area. The main goal is to investigate the potential of different Artificial Intelligence methods to identify tectonic signals with lower frequency content as well as the fault segments generating them.
- Development and application of Artificial Intelligence-based recognition and classification of local tectonic and anthropogenic signals in strainmeter and seismic data
- Development of a catalogue of slow slip signals
- Analysis of complementary data to compare with the slow slip results
- Publish your results as scientific papers in ISI peer-review journals
- Present and disseminate your research results at scientific meetings
- Contribute to the supervision of PhD students and engage with their work
- Master`s degree or equivalent and a PhD in geophysics or equivalent
- Expertise in seismology and/or geodesy
- Knowledge in the fields of data science and/or artificial intelligence and/or big data analysis
- Programming skills (AI/ML programming frameworks, e.g. PyTorch or TensorFlow, Python, MATLAB, SQL)
- Fluency in English (written/oral)
- Willingness to work in an interdisciplinary and international environment
- Experience in field campaigns will be valued
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice is offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance is offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Start date: 1st July 2023
Fixed-term: 2,5 years
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
If so, we look forward to receiving your application by 31st March 2023. Please use our online application form only.
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.
In case of any further queries relating to the field of activity, please contact Dr. Patricia Martinez-Garzon either via email at email@example.com
or phone +49 (0)331-288 28833. If you have any general questions about the application process, please contact our recruiting team at our phone number +49 (0) 331-6264-28787.
Für Fragen zur Gleichstellung steht Ihnen die Gleichstellungsbeauftragte des GFZ, Frau Dr. Weckmann unter Tel. +49 331 288-2824 bzw. per E-Mail zur Verfügung.
Fragen zur Mitarbeit schwerbehinderter Personen beantwortet gerne die Schwerbehindertenvertreterin des GFZ, Frau Thiel unter Tel. +49 331 288-1648 bzw. per E-Mail.
More jobs from this employer