Physicists, geophysicists, geoinformatics specialists, mathematicians or similar (f/m/x)
Space weather has a significant impact on the performance and reliability of space-based and ground-based technological systems. It can cause significant disruptions to modern communication and navigation systems, leading to increased security risks, economic losses and reduced quality of life.
The department Space Weather Impact develops and investigates methods for measuring, evaluating and predicting physical and technical quantities that can describe the effects of space weather on technical systems. The results help to better understand the effects of space weather on our society and technical systems and to develop possible countermeasures in cooperation with scientific, industrial or governmental partners.
Your mission is in the field of applied research and contributes to the scientific and technical understanding of the interactions between space weather and our infrastructure (on the ground and in space). This will support operators of critical infrastructures and services in the fields of navigation, communications, aviation, space exploration and the electricity grid.
Your tasks will specifically include:
- further development and operation of an automated and scalable processing system for the representation and analysis of space weather at the Ionosphere Monitoring and Prediction Center (IMPC)
- investigation of interactions between space weather and technological infrastructure on the ground and in space through modelling and experimentation
- development, automation and validation of methods for measuring, evaluating and predicting physical and technical quantities that describe the effects of space weather on technical systems
- investigation of long-term effects due to continuous as well as spontaneous changes in space weather conditions
- implementation and management of work packages in related projects as well as support in the acquisition of new projects
You will bring your excellent skills to a nationally and internationally successful as well as highly motivated research team with many years of scientific expertise in ionospheric and space weather research. Here you will experience a very good working atmosphere at a well-equipped and modern research location in a beautiful and attractive region of Germany.
- completed scientific university studies (Master / Diploma) in the natural sciences (e.g. meteorology, physics, geophysics, geodesy) or engineering sciences (e.g. computer science, geoinformatics, data science, data engineering and analytics) or in comparable fields relevant to the job.
- basic knowledge of the effects of space weather and their influence on technical infrastructures, e.g. in the field of satellite navigation.
- practical experience in the development of modular software in a team for the automated scientific acquisition, analysis and visualisation of multidimensional space weather data using CI/CD and Gitlab/Github
- highly motivated to learn about new topics and processes while identifying and communicating approaches to data-driven solutions
- strong communication and teamwork skills and a pragmatic hands-on mentality
- willingness to travel (nationally and internationally)
- very good knowledge of the English language, both written and spoken
- good knowledge of the German language, both written and spoken
- good knowledge and hands-on experience in distributed data management including data modeling and interoperable data delivery (e.g. with database systems such as PostgreSQL, PostGIS, and TimeScaleDB), S3 object stores, API development (e.g. OGC) is an advantage.
- practical experience in virtualisation, containerisation and orchestration of hardware and software components (e.g. KVM, Kubernetes, Docker/Podman, Argo Workflow, Ansible) is a plus.
Look forward to a fulfilling job with an employer who appreciates your commitment and supports your personal and professional development. Our unique infrastructure offers you a working environment in which you have unparalleled scope to develop your creative ideas and accomplish your professional objectives. Our human resources policy places great value on a healthy family and work-life-balance as well as equal opportunities for persons of all genders (f/m/x).Individuals with disabilities will be given preferential consideration in the event their qualifications are equivalent to those of other candidates.
DLR - Helmholtz / Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt
Visit employer page
Computer Engineering, Data Science, geodesy, geoinformation, geophysical sciences , Mathematician, Mathematics, Physicist, Physics, Apply
More jobs from this employer