PhD Student Natural Sciences or similar (f/m/x)
The Institute of Materials Physics in Space is one of the leading institutes worldwide in the exploration of fundamental physical properties and the solidification of metallic liquids, soft matter, and granular systems. In addition to experimental work in the laboratory and in microgravity, the institute works on computer simulations and theory to understand the physical phenomena that occur.
The Quantum Computer Initiative is a major project of the German Aerospace Center in the development and use of quantum computers. In the field of materials physics, the initiative aims to lay the foundations for the future effective use of quantum hardware and corresponding algorithms.
Mode-coupling theory (MCT) is an established tool in classical condensed matter theory, especially for the calculation of glassy states and dynamics. The goal of the present project is the extension of the theory towards quantum phenomena. Quantum glass states are expected to be valuable for both the development of novel materials as well as the design of more effective optimization schemes.
As a part of this dissertation project, you will be responsible for the following tasks:
- analytical and numerical calculations to extend liquid state theory as well as MCT into the quantum regime
- development of quantum computer algorithms suitable for condensed matter problems
- publication of results in scientific journals and presentations at international scientific conferences
The dissertation work shall be performed in Cologne with a collaboration with the University of Constance.
- degree in physics, chemistry, computer science, mathematics, or biology
- good analytical and programming skills
- good English language skills
- preferably research experience in the field of condensed matter theory
Look forward to a fulfilling job with an employer who appreciates your commitment and supports your personal and professional development. Our unique infrastructure offers you a working environment in which you have unparalleled scope to develop your creative ideas and accomplish your professional objectives. Our human resources policy places great value on a healthy family and work-life-balance as well as equal opportunities for persons of all genders (f/m/x).Individuals with disabilities will be given preferential consideration in the event their qualifications are equivalent to those of other candidates.
More jobs from this employer