Physics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or similar (f/m/x)
The DLR Institute for Quantum Technologies in Ulm was founded in mid-2019 and aims to develop precision instruments for space applications based on quantum technologies and to bring them to prototype maturity together with industry. It thus builds a bridge between fundamental research and industry. Together with the DLR-Institute for Satellite Geodesy and Inertial Sensing in Hannover and the Galileo Competence Center in Oberpfaffenhofen, the institute in Ulm has a pioneering role in these research and application fields. The research work of its four core departments Quantum Metrology, Quantum Information and Communication, Quantum Nanophysics and Quantum Control of Charged Matter Waves is complemented and supported by the three cross-sectional departments Quantum Engineering, Integration of Micro- and Nanosystems and Theoretical Quantum Physics. The institute is interdisciplinary in nature: Theoretical fundamental research and experimental tests meet engineering implementation.
We are looking for you for a position in the department "Quantum Metrology". Be part of our team that is bringing the first optical clock to the ISS space station within the COMPASSO project, demonstrating technologies for future generations of the European satellite navigation system Galileo in space. Here you will contribute to the development of an optical frequency reference based on Doppler-free spectroscopy of molecular iodine, which is being developed under the leadership of the DLR Institute for Quantum Technologies in collaboration with other DLR institutes, research institutes, universities and the space industry. You will bring in your expertise to the creation of the design, the prototype phase and the activities during assembly-integration and verification. You will be actively involved in all stages of the process and contribute to the implementation of the project.
The position – with work location Ulm – is initially limited to 2 years.
Your tasks are:
- You will build the engineering model and the structure-thermal model of the optical frequency reference for the COMPASSO project with us.
- You prepare the implementation of the frequency reference as a flight model and accompany development, test and verification.
- You will integrate the optical spectroscopy unit and perform its verification.
- You support the Systems Engineering especially in the area of requirements management and test and verification planning.
- You support planning and implementation of the laboratories of the department "Quantum Metrology" at the Ulm site.You are part of a team of scientists and engineers.
- You exchange scientific results with peers and compare and evaluate the results with alternative methods.
A prerequisite for employment at DLR is security clearance in accordance with the Security Clearance Act (Sicherheitsüberprüfungsgesetz, SÜG) and willingness to undergo a security clearance in accordance with §8 ff SÜG.
- completed scientific university studies (Master/Diploma) in the field of physics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or space engineering
- experience in the field of planning and evaluation of satellite missions
- experience in design, development and characterization of laser optical setups, ideally of frequency stable laser systems
- expertise in the area of requirements management
- very good English skills, both written and spoken
- capability to work independently
- enjoyment of teamwork with scientists
- passion for innovative research
- laboratory experience with laser optical experiments
- experience in the implementation of space projects
- experience in CAD design and IBM DOORS
Look forward to a fulfilling job with an employer who appreciates your commitment and supports your personal and professional development. Our unique infrastructure offers you a working environment in which you have unparalleled scope to develop your creative ideas and accomplish your professional objectives. Our human resources policy places great value on a healthy family and work-life-balance as well as equal opportunities for persons of all genders (f/m/x). Individuals with disabilities will be given preferential consideration in the event their qualifications are equivalent to those of other candidates.
More jobs from this employer