Computer scientist, physicist, mathematician or similar (f/m/x)
The Institute for the Protection of Terrestrial Infrastructures aims at the stable supply of society. The development of methods for detecting and defending against threats is just as much a part of the tasks as improved management in the event of major emergencies. In the department "Digital Twins for Infrastructures", complex networked supply systems, socio-technical interrelationships as well as buildings and technical facilities are modeled and simulated in terms of structure and behavior. By tracking the models with real-time data and providing intelligent tools for crisis teams and emergency forces, digital twins are created that provide new possibilities for monitoring and responding to crises. They also provide a basis for analyzing and optimizing the resilience of terrestrial infrastructures.
Digital Twins represent a physical instance as closely as possible within the digital world. Through continuous twinning using real-time sensor data the Digital Twin enables – by the use of models or adaption of the data from similar instances – a prediction of behavior of the real instance. Additionally, the Digital Twin is able to parallelly evaluate prognosis and optimization possibilities by analyzing the current state and context of the Digital Twin. The added values of the Digital Twin can be improved by increasing the number of data sources, mapped instances or connections made.
However, the high complexity of the digital twin means that the user group is limited to just a few people, usually its developers. In order to make the digital twin accessible to different users such as crisis management teams, emergency services, etc., the converging data and tools must be consolidated and simplified, which is done by providing suitable human-machine interfaces in combination with a complex backend architecture. Due to the large number of tools that differ in their implementation, this must be highly flexible and performant. In order to be able to use the digital twin both in day-to-day operations and in crisis situations, it is also necessary to develop an operating concept, which considers the needs of all stakeholders and provides suitable backup solutions.
Under your technical and coordinative leadership, the working group should establish a Digital Twin Cloud Platform, enable a constant enhancement of the platform, and guarantee a continuous and resilient operation. Your work includes the following responsibilities:
- professional Leadership of the “Digital Twin Cloud and Services” working group, including responsibility for achieving the group's objectives
- specification of scientific questions in the field of "Digital Twin Cloud Computing" and related topics
- planning and conducting scientific work within various projects either by yourself or by instructing employees on the following subjects:
- researching new and innovative concepts for the modular design of front-end environments under the demands of various stakeholders
- developing complex strategies for setting up, operating and further developing suitable system and software architectures
- design and implementation of a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) modular system for simplified embedding of simulation and evaluation tools in the digital twin
- independent development, implementation and testing of real-time and simulation interfaces to digital twins
- conception and development of suitable visualization methods
- merging and linking simulation, sensor and historical data for later use in the digital twin using suitable data interfaces and database architectures
- coordination of the setup and operation of the computing and storage resources required for the implementation of projects and the establishment of a resource management system
- demonstration of the developed functionalities based on use cases and for defined scenarios
- documentation of research data and results of the working group
With your results, you help to make the best possible use of sensor data obtained in real time by connecting it to digital twins. In addition, such a DT cloud computing platform offers the possibility of using digital twins in crisis situations in the best possible way, thereby supporting decision-makers and emergency services during all phases of the crisis.
You will implement your ideas in a dynamic and innovative institute of the German Aerospace Center. In addition to a high level of team spirit, you can expect an excellent infrastructure with state-of-the-art equipment and the latest development environments. We will also actively support you in your professional and scientific development.
- A prerequisite for employment at DLR is security clearance in accordance with the Security Clearance Act as well as the willingness to undergo a security check in accordance with §8 ff SÜG.
- completed scientific university degree (university diploma or master's degree) in the field of natural sciences (e.g., physics) or in the field of formal sciences (e.g., computer science, mathematics) or other courses of study relevant to the job
- several years of professional experience in the design, development, evaluation and implementation of cloud system architectures and SaaS services
- several years of professional experience in the use of development processes for software development, development of software architectures for simulation systems or data science as well as the use of databases
- several years of professional experience in the implementation of externally funded projects desirable; experience in dealing with industry partners and authorities, preferably also in joint projects
- in-depth expertise in full-stack development, ideally within cloud environments
- very good knowledge of containerization and orchestration of software via Docker, Kubernetes or similar
- very good programming skills in C++, Python
- experience in leading scientific teams
- excellent verbal and written communication skills and very good command of English
Look forward to a fulfilling job with an employer who appreciates your commitment and supports your personal and professional development. Our unique infrastructure offers you a working environment in which you have unparalleled scope to develop your creative ideas and accomplish your professional objectives. Our human resources policy places great value on a healthy family and work-life-balance as well as equal opportunities for persons of all genders (f/m/x). Individuals with disabilities will be given preferential consideration in the event their qualifications are equivalent to those of other candidates.