Project description for Postdoc/Research assistant (3 years):
As part of your work, you will investigate an exciting question in the following project:
The role of iron in the course of bacterial infection of the testis.
(A. Meinhardt – E. Meyron-Holtz)
Activities and responsibilities:
- The area of responsibility includes the independent scientific collaboration in the above mentioned project to investigate the pathogenesis of bacterial testicular and epididymal infections.
- Analysis of the fertility and integrity of the organ, in particular the influence of iron and iron metabolism on the course of the disease as well as the examination of clinical samples in connection with this scientific question.
- Work with immunological and morphological methods and expression analyzes as well as the application (official language German) and the implementation of animal experiments are planned.
- You are responsible for the methodical training of doctoral students and based on your research, you draft several scientific articles for publication in international journals.
- In addition, research stays with the cooperation partner at the Technion in Haifa, Israel are part of the task.
- You have a university degree in biology, biotechnology, biochemistry, veterinary medicine, veterinary biotechnology or a related subject in the field of life sciences. Furthermore, a completed doctoral thesis in one of the above mentioned subjects is required.
- Particularly important is the knowledge of immunological but also morphological methods and expression analysis. Knowledge of flow cytometric determination of immune cell populations as well as in whole genome expression analysis is advantageous.
- Willingness to carry out animal experimentations (with qualifications or the opportunity to acquire qualifications, e.g. Felasa B or C equivalent) as well as to apply for experimental permits.
- Induction of a bacterial epididymo-orchitis in vivo in wild-type and transgenic mouse models. Isolation and cultivation of primary cells from rodents (e.g. testicles, epididymis, immune cells).
- You are able to readily operate with the common software programs (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) and should be familiar with basics of data analysis, literature research and scientific writing. Besides this, you are showing good written and spoken English and German language skills.
- Personally, you are characterized by a far above-average level of motivation, passion for experimental work and the willingness to work independently. Your social competence is particularly evident in your communication and team skills.
- Willingness to undertake research stays at the cooperation partner’s lab at the Technion in Haifa, Israel.
We are offering:
- The chosen candidate will be employed as research assistant for 3 years on the basis of 100% of E13 (TV-H = tariff in public service of the federal state of Hesse).
- In a dynamic work environment you will have the opportunity to carry out varied research tasks independently combined with the chance to put your creative ideas into practice. Our cooperation is characterized by a results-oriented, open and cooperative working atmosphere.
- We cooperate with renowned researchers from Germany and abroad as a part of various research projects. For example, there are close contacts to Monash University, Melbourne, Australia and to Shanghai Tech University, Shanghai, China.
- Your individual further development will be promoted and the establishment of your international network is supported as well.
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology
Working group: Reproduction Biology (Leader: Prof. A. Meinhardt)
Aulweg 123, 35392 Gießen / GERMANY
Application reference-no.: 120/11
Application deadline: 17.03.2020
Please submit your application one single pdf-file via email to: Andreas.Meinhardt@anatomie.med.uni-giessen.de.
If applying online should not be feasible for you, obviously, you can send in your application by mail to the above mentioned address.