PhD topic of project A1: Synthesis and characterization of mesoporous silica gels for the efficient separation of phosphorus from wastewater
Separation of solutes by ion exchange is an important step in the extraction of valuable substances from aqueous media. At the Thiel group, specifically functionalized mesoporous silica gels have been synthesized and characterized for many years. Until now, the application of such materials has been limited mainly to catalysis.
In this project, mesoporous silica gels for the separation of phosphate from wastewater are now to be synthesized, characterized and tested for their efficiency. For this purpose, the pore surface of these materials shall be functionalized with phosphate-selective groups that are covalently, i.e. irreversibly, bound to the surface.
The most important scientific questions of this PhD will be:
- How can environmentally compatible and reusable materials be synthesized that remove phosphate as far as possible from wastewater systems through selective binding?
- How can such absorber materials be selectively enriched or separated in the process?
- How can phosphate be efficiently separated from these materials?
Requirements for applicants:
- Excellent Master degree (M.Sc.) or equivalent in chemistry or process engineering
- Experience relating to the synthesis of inorganic materials and organic compounds and their characterization
- Proficient in the English language and willingness to learn German (for non-German speaking persons)
You can send your application for this PhD topic to Prof. Dr. Werner R. Thiel: w.thiel[at]chem.rptu.de
Please send by 15.03.2024 complete application documents:
- Letter of motivation that prioritizes one or two of the PhD topics of WERA
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of your degree certificate (Bachelor, Master or equivalent) with full academic transcripts
directly to the supervisors of PhD topics ( „apply-button“ ).
You can contact the spokesperson Prof. Sergiy Antonyuk (firstname.lastname@example.org) for general questions about PhD Graduate School.
About RPTU Kaiserslautern-Landau:
The RPTU Kaiserslautern-Landau (RPTU) is the technical university of the federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate with over 20,000 students, more than 300 professors and around 160 degree programmes. As a place of top-level international research, it offers excellent working conditions and career opportunities. Those who study, research or work at RPTU experience a welcoming and globally-oriented environment and shape the future.
The PhD Graduate School GRK 2908 is supported financially by the German Research Foundation (DFG) with funds from the German states and the federal government of Germany.